Wednesday, April 07, 2010

An Ode to Catman B

If you know me well, you'll undoubtedly know about my former neighbour/60-year-old foster child, Byron the Pirate, who loved my cat (my kids call him Catman B because of his love of the neighbourhood cats) and kept watch over my family until he moved away last year.

We helped him move into his new place, gave him some set-up stuff: a couch, some blankets, etc. I took him out for brunch around Christmas and got the most heartbreaking message of thanks via computer-translated text message on my answering machine. He helped us feel less bourgeoisie. We helped him feel less alone.

But the winter divided us. He recently got into an altercation when someone tried to steal his bike and ended up spending a night in the clink.

J told Nate about it and my Cornelius instantly expressed his emotions via a spoken word poem.

Neighbours, neighbours
Everywhere
All the time.
Going to jail,
Turning to crime.
Feeling the world,
In their eyes.
Always everywhere,
Until they die.

Nathaniel Silverthorne, age 5.

18 comments:

Jenny F. said...

Impressive. Must take after his Mom.

Butterfly said...

I'm amazed. Considering his age, that is brilliant!

Mac and Cheese said...

An old soul, that one.

scarbie doll said...

@Mac and Cheese: Isn't he though? *beaming with pride*

@Jenny F: Completely flattered. He's WAY smarter than me though. ;-)

kgirl said...

Oh little dude. Sigh.

kittenpie said...

Um, wow.
The kid's got some major soul going on there, Scarb. Old soul, but also the soul of a beat poet.

the mombshell said...

that poem makes me miss my kindergarten classroom, i live for kids like that!

ed said...

this is great!

La Blogueuse said...

Your kid is knocking me off my superiority complex, hehe. Love it. I will have a HARS for him soon ;)

駱治男 said...

得意人,聽腳步聲就知道。......................................................

逸凡逸凡 said...

Nice Post~!!!. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

志源 said...

路過--你好嗎..很棒的BLOG.........................................

俊淑娟美 said...

很棒的分享~希望不會打擾您 ........................................

0908LonniePettus said...

天下沒有意把鑰匙,可以打開所有的門...............................................................

Anonymous said...

miss your non-work bloggin scarbie...i understand though...life is so hectic! Hope you're well.
La Blogueuse

EdwardG_Burrell1016 said...

量力而為,別勉強了,Cut your coat according to your cloth..............................................

Anonymous said...

are you ever going to blog again

佳俐 said...

精彩的文章是我停留的理由~........................................