Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Idiocracy

Well, well. It seems everyone's got an opinion on the Wife Swap post. The debate got so fired up that I was offline for a day and came back to blaze in my comment box. I need to set the record straight before this gets (even more) out of hand. I don't usually get political, but this will be long and provide links so everyone gets schooled equally.

*************************

As my pal Something Blue commented, "Hot damn you get all the troll action. Seriously who doesn't love having an antagonist that everyone can despise." Indeed. Last week's so-called "troll", Mollie, became the source of much fun for MFM fans. She even inspired a post. Did it go too far? Perhaps. But though my readers became very irate about Mollie, I in no way tried to attack her, only to explain my reasons for writing what I did. In fact I was welcoming and am still willing to talk about our differences rationally. But to be fair, she was taunting me, no?

Honestly, I welcome different opinions. I like people coming out of the woodwork and letting me know what they think. I like it when something I've written sparks discussion. There is no need to be afraid to comment -- at least you don't need to be afraid of me. I can't really enforce rules of etiquette on my regular commenters though. They are free to say what they think and feel too. (And yeah, maybe I secretly love that they would rush to my defence in these situations. It's nice to be liked.)

As I have no filter, I pretty much say whatever comes to mind -- usually to get a laugh. So I more than appreciate it when someone sets me straight. I like learning new things, whether about a place I made a rash statement about, or about myself. I find debates are more effective when they are well articulated and based in fact. So kudos to Wander and Bethany for chastising me and reminding me there's more to women than stereotypes. Jo Jo, you need to do some reading up on Canada honey. But I understand and respect your passion. Coming from a military family, you would have to feel that depth of patriotism, because no one wants to think that their loved ones died for nothing. I can't even begin to imagine the loss of my husband. I want you to know that I do pray, (even though I make fun of it) and your family will be in my prayers. The truth of the matter is, loved ones are dying for nothing by the second, be they American or Iraqi, Lebanese or Israeli, Canadian or Afghani, >Baggara or non-Baggara.

I have to also take a stand for my pal Loula who commented rather angrily from the perspective of an Iraqi-Canadian woman. When you are a "sand sister" it's hard not be angry when everyone in the world lumps you in with the bad apples. Sound familiar Americans? When the bad guys on TV and in the movies and on the news all look like your Uncle Abdullah, it's kinda hard to feel sympathy for the other side. Just like all Ozarkians (hey I just Armenianified you!) aren't the scary people from Deliverance, all of us dark-haired, dark-eyed, hairy people are not Osama Bin Laden's cousins. Many of us are not even Muslims (though there is nothing wrong with being Muslim no matter what the media and a few baddies with long beards will have you believe. So don't start burning down my blog.) But the world is making us feel pretty shitty right now. And it hurts. So we get bitchy.

*************************

Did I take a cheap shot at the Ozarks for a laugh? Yes. Looking at it now, making fun of the Ozarks is stale, like making fun of Newfies (People from the Canadian province of Newfoundland, for those who don't know the slang) -- and Newfies are some of the greatest people I know. Did I take the piss when speaking about President Bush? Sure did. And though I probably took the praying mockery too far, I'm not apologizing for expressing how I feel about G-Dub. I do not agree with what he's doing, not just to the US, but to the world. And no matter what you think, his decisions affect the entire globe. And that's way too much power for one person--or nation--to have.

And for the record, I am not anti-American. I am anti-Bush and those are two different things. I love Americans (especially when they know Canada has a Prime Minister) and count dozens of them among my dearest friends. The majority of Canadians live along the American border. We are infused with all things America, whether some of us like it or not. We watch the same shows you do; we listen to some of the same music (though our Canadian bands kick some serious ass). Our culture is heavily influenced by your culture, our politics and economy tied closely (a little too closely in my opinion, but whatevs.) to yours. We are not the same, but we are not so different either. We're like siblings: we fight, we make up; we have a rivalry; we are jealous of each other at times; we don't always agree; we make each other laugh; we don't call often enough, but we like to see each other on holidays. (In fact, I'm coming for a visit next month!)

***************************

As for Wife Swap, they found me via this blog. And it's not the show where you decide what to do with the other wife's 50K at the end. That's the other wife swapping show that I can't remember the name of. Anyone? Bueller? According to the official ABC Wife Swap site, " Wife Swap is not a competition or a contest. It is a reality show unlike any other, where the battlegrounds are the kitchens and living rooms, child-rearing is a subject of intense and heated debate, and the outcome isn't a cash prize, but a couple's opportunity to re-discover why they love each other and decided to marry in the first place."

As it stands we have 10 votes for Do It! 8 votes for Don't Do It! 9 votes for Up to You/I couldn't figure out what your final opinion was. Not enough of a sway in any direction. But clearly more of you want me to make an ass of myself and write about the experience than not. I don't know what that says about our relationship.

But after all this chaos, I'm leaning towards no. But I've promised a few people that I would at least get more information. I'll keep you posted.

Peace Out.

No comments: