Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Homeopathward Bound

OMG! How awesome was that? Just spilling my life story to someone and having them diagnose me based on ME? That was a pretty pair of shoes I just paid the Homeopath, but I feel better spilling it all out already. She gave me 4 tiny pills (I kid you not, dollhouse size pills) that I'm supposed to take next time the crazies come on. I have to keep detailed notes on how the pills help/don't help and then see her in two weeks' time. Homeopath kicks Naturopath's ass!

Having to pay with my credit card did make a much debated point clear to me: In Canada, whether we like it or not, we already have a two-tiered medical system. Because if I want to have a health service provided that doesn't fall under the umbrella of Western medicine, I gotta pay out of my own pocket. Accupuncture, Osteopathy, Chiropractic, etc -- maybe if you have insurance, you just might get some of it covered. But poor Joe Schmo on welfare doesn't get that option. I can barely afford this treatment, but it's my health, and I think it's about time I put my health before a cute pair of shoes. It just sucks that not everyone can do that, especially in a country that claims to have such a fair healthcare system.

The Homeopath also made a good point. When I asked her why all these women in our generation are on meds, she looked at me matter-of-factly and said, "It's like the 50s. Back then it was Valium. Women were feeling overwhelmed by having a family and getting dinner ready and having the pillows just so. They would go to the doctor and say, "I'm overwhelmed!" And the doctor would write them a prescription for Valium. They were like Stepford Wives."

So let's hope her magic pills work. Because much like Julie Kavner in the guiltier-pleasure-than-the-original Revenge of the Stepford Wives, it would take a lot of Prozac to make me fit in with this crew.

No comments: