Saturday, January 01, 2005

Labour Day!

HAPPY 2005! No baby yet, but some news.

***MAJOR GROSS ALERT***

So as luck would have it, at approximately 5 minutes to 7 last night, my mucous plug fell out. And let me tell you, once you see it, there is no doubt in your mind that it's the MP. It can only be decribed, rather crudely, as cafe-au-lait coloured "pussy snot".

We had dinner reservations for 7 and of course I was running late, trying to look good for what may be the last time in a long time. (Queen Nomad and I were discussing this morning how I would undoubtedly turn into a bushpig during labour.) I realized that I had forgotten to put a pantyliner on and when I went to do it, I noticed something gooey. I peed, wiped, and realized that there was some serious brown goop. So serious in fact that the toilet paper wasn't going to cut it. I had to scoop it out by hand! That's how much there was! It had a consistency halfway between snot and that stuff you find in magazines that sticks the extra mini-mags to the main mag. SO NASTY!!

Suddenly I freaked and went into Stepford mode, finishing my makeup application and heading out for dinner with the Dog. I knew that this signalled that I was in Phase One Labour: Early Stage and that this meant I could have the baby within the next 2-3 days. So we walked up to the restaurant in silence. The Dog refused to admit he was nervous at all. We had some maki at this haute Japanese restaurant that ended up not being all that. I did indulge in a tiny bit of raw tuna since I figured I was nearing the end of this pregnancy thing. I went to the bathroom twice while at the restaurant and found more gobs of "blood-tinged mucous." Greeeeeeat.

***GROSS ALERT OVER***

My tummy was pretty tight throughout the night. We walked back home, very slowly, and cuddled up on the couch to watch the latest Chris Rock HBO special, Never Scared . Man, was it ever good!! I highly recommend it. The man speaks the truth about America and marriage and all kinds of things that we've all thought about and makes you laugh your ass off. What a treat. Totally took my mind off my discomfort. There was a bonus feature on the DVD that showed one of his first HBO half hour specials and I fell asleep for that, waking up 10 minutes before midnight to do the countdown and kiss the Doggy.

After midnight, I decided that I should try to rest and sleep since the contractions were (and still are) manageable. The Dog, however, started wiggin' out. He was putting up curtains at 12:15! He was grumbling about a bunch of stuff he had to finish and how he was so upset with us for not getting these things done. So I snapped at him, " Look, you are stressing me out when I have to chill. Sit your ass down and play Ms. Pacman or some shit until I fall asleep!"

So he poured himself a brandy and did just that. And I fell asleep and got a pretty good stretch of sleeping for a change. Did not wake up until 5:30 am. After that, it was tough to get back to sleep. But I had a few more naps until I decided to give it up and call Queen Nomad, who moved to Paris yesterday.

I just want to say good luck to QN. It has been her lifelong dream to live in Paris. After 3 years of travelling around from place to place, she finally made it there. I hope 2005 fulfills all her Parisienne dreams. Although I am always bugging her to come home to Toronto so we can suffer through this baby shit (no pun intended) together, I am also partially hoping she makes it there long enough for me to come for a few visits. Paris is undoubtedly one of my favourite cities—definitely in the Top 3. Anyway, best of luck QN. I love you and wish you the best this year. We survived another year apart and can still say we're best friends.

Wow. It's freakin' 2005 and I'm going to have a baby! Any day now! Maybe even today! On time! As scheduled!

Happy New Year to you all! I hope that 2005 brings you as many blessings as it will for me. Thanks for all your good wishes. This early stage of labour could take some time, and I'll do my best to keep you posted, but I may not have anything to say until I actually have a baby in my arms. Love you all.

~Scarbie Doll

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you! You will be great... can't wait to meet the little guy!
Christine.

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD you are having a baby! Good Luck Nadders and Janners...we're thinking about you. Happy New Year! ~formerly...dings.

Anonymous said...

This is the best news EVER. I have been checking in religiously for the past week and now I can't wait to hear all about your little puppy! Lily is blowing kisses your way for strength.
V.

Beaches said...

UM... Auntie Blondie is freaking out. But in a good way. Spoke to the Dog about an hour ago (it's Jan. 2). I won't give any news away... Just had to sign on to say that I love you guys. CrowN and I are thinking of you. And I am SO EXCITED. Much love...

Blondie.

~d.~ said...

i think you may be having the babe now as there was no post yesterday or today so far. yeahhh you are having a baby!!!!

could you promote my blog for me as i don't think anyone is reading it??


http://justthegirlnextdoorcontemplatinglife.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

When is your exact due date? I am so excited for you! Moreover, I am so excited for you that you will be unpregnant very soon! Yay! Happy day! Also, I kept waiting for my mucous plug to appear and it never did. Weird. Then again, I didn't really experience any kind of "real" labor so maybe that's why, oh well. Anyway, good luck good luck good luck!

-Cookie

PhDiva said...

So... is the little guy here yet? Keep us posted, we can't wait. Hugs to all three of you ((((3))))

La Blogueuse said...

By now, I'm pretty sure it's either a done deal, or almost closing, since it's been 2 days since we last heard from you. I just want to say CONGRATULATIONS! And enjoy discovering the Son in your solar system!

Anonymous said...

I'm going nuts. Please let us know what's happening. Tell Jan to post it in his blog if you can't get to it.
V.