Friday, December 31, 2004

New Year's Heave

Well, it's a day before the official due date, and ain't nothin' goin' on but the rent.

It's a balmy 10 degrees Celcius in Toronto today! I have planned an extended walk today to get gravity working in my favour. Maybe some Indian food for lunch. I would try to get it on with the Dog again, but circumstances have me confused.

Yesterday we headed out to run some errands and on the way I got a call from Sista Sunshine. "Are you on your way to, or from, the doctor's?"
"Ohmigosh! It's Thursday today? Holy shit! I'm an hour late for my appointment!"

I swear, I have no concept of the days now that I'm off. We rush to the doctor. Luckily we were in the car already so made it there in 15 minutes. They stop seeing patients by 3 pm usually and it was just after 3! And of course, there is some crazy ass bitch with crazy ass bitch hair in the reception window, arguing about how she made an appointment a year in advance--for 20 minutes! I so wanted to push her aside and say, "Hey lady, do you mind? I just need a cup to piss in. Thanks."

So thankfully I had plied them all with Christmas cards and chocolate two weeks ago and they kindly squeezed me in. I put on a pound, bringing the grand total to 154 lbs from a 129 lbs start. That's officially 25 lbs. Phew! I just wanted to make it to 25 lbs. Then I had a cervical exam to see how dialated I am, if at all. Dr. Lee looked me in the eye and warned, "I'm not gonna lie to you. This isn't going to be pleasant."
"I figured as much," I replied dryly.

Then she rammed her finger way the hell up my twat. The pressure was unbelievable uncomfortable. It gave me a small inkling as to what this crap is actually going to feel like when all is said and done. Friends, I'm not gonna lie to you, you can survive it, but it's not fun.

She mentioned that the exam sometimes serves to get things going labour-wise. She also said I might have some spotting afterwards. ***GROSS ALERT*** So I have had quite a bit of goopy brown stuff since then, but am not sure if this is just spotting, or mucous plug falling out. This is why I think I should avoid sex. Once the mucous plug is out, the baby can be exposed to a variety of bacteria and infections. If it is indeed out though, it means labour will start within 2-3 days.
***GROSS ALERT OVER***

So they have scheduled me for an ultrasound next Thursday and if he's not out on his own by then, well then they will look inside to see the conditions and will schedule an induction. He could possibly be born next Thursday, which was oddly more shocking and scary to me than the prospect that he could come any day now. So weird. Anyway, I'm not too thrilled about the thought of induction, it makes me feel as though I have failed somehow to do this thing entirely on my own. I know that's not true, but it's just how I feel. However, anything could happen between now and Thursday. I'll keep you posted. If you don't hear from me for a few days, it likely means that all worked out naturally.

I'm giving up on the whole "first baby of the year" prize-winning thing and the Dog and I are going to this awesome place Tempo for dinner tonight. It's walking distance, so I figure I'll get some more exercise out of it. Plus it's Japanese fusion, so maybe the wasabi will wake this babe up. Send good vibes.

Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm vibing you all the way baby! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! ~formerly blah blah blah you know the rest!

Anonymous said...

25lbs??? There are actually women who can acheive that goal? I went from 129 to 205lbs. Holy sh*t. Thank goodness for breastfeeding since it was my only real weight loss strategy. Only 10 more lbs to lose!
I'm proud of you!
V.